Ology means KNOWLEDGE! Technology is knowledge of the Technical matters
Eleventh May today is National Technology day for all to observe that matters!
Every such day has a THEME and this year’s theme a great one indeed!
Theme for the National Science Day (NSD) Nineteen Twenty -Twenty One is
“Future of STI: Impacts on Education, Skills and Work”
National Technology Day’ observed to remember and pay respects
To the contributions of individuals in the field of Science and Technology.
National Technology Day in India –
- ‘National Technology Day’ was first observed on May 11, 1999.
- May 11 was declared as ‘National Technology Day’ by former Prime Minister of India, Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- The Government of India, officially declared 11 May as National Technology Day to commemorate the 5 nuclear tests that were successfully carried out on 11 May 1998.
National Technology Day: Significance of May 11, 1998, Pokhran II – Nuclear Tests
- After the successful conduct of 5 nuclear tests, India officially declared itself as a full-fledged nuclear state.
- These 5 nuclear tests were codenamed as ‘Operation Shakti’. However, the whole operation is also known as Pokhran-II.
- The nuclear tests were carried out at the Pokhran test range located in Rajasthan, India.
- These 5 nuclear tests were carried out by the Indian Army in collaboration with scientists of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research (AMDER).
- Pokhran-II nuclear tests helped India achieve the capability to build thermonuclear weapons and fission bombs.
- Successful Pokhran-II nuclear tests gave India the capability to build nuclear bombs with yields up to 200 kilotons.